Saturday, April 14, 2012

DIY Saturday

Saturday is probably the most common day for people to do projects around their house.  Be it cleaning, maintenance, decorating, etc.  Whatever it may be, Saturday seems to be the day that most people are taking charge and getting things done.  So, I'm starting a new category for my blog. I'm going to post DIY (Do It Yourself) projects.  Feel free to share. Every good idea came from another place so share and share away! I will try these projects during the week and follow up on it.

I have been thinking a lot about how many chemicals I use in my home.  From cleaning the floors, the counters, the laundry, dishes, terrariums, etc. etc.  I would absolutely love to start making some of these cleaners out of all natural, less intrusive, products.  So this morning I stumbled across this cleaner and the instructions seem easy enough.

All-Natural Vinegar and Orange Peel Cleaner
  • Add orange peels (or any citrus peel) to a quart of white vinegar in a closed container and let it set for two weeks. 
  • Combine citrus/vinegar solution half/half with water and use for cleaning. 
  • Works on floors, tiles, fixtures, kitchen & bath etc. Smells good and is tough on scum! Best of all there are no chemicals.


Here is another one that I have heard of doing before. I think I will try out both of these this week. 

Homemade Laundry Detergent



4 Cups – hot tap water
1 All Natural Soap Bar
1 Cup – Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
½ Cup Borax (I used 1 cup Borax)
  • - Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
  • -Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
  • -Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
  • -Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.

Once you’re ready to use the laundry soap, shake it in the container first.  Then add:
-5/8 cups for a regular top-loading machine
-1/4 cup for a front-loading (HE) machine

**I think I will use a cute sun tea jar with a spigot to store mine. Perfect time of year to pick one up at Walmart or Target. 








1 comment:

  1. Love your blog! DIY + family issues is an excellent combination.

    ReplyDelete